Thursday, May 23, 2024

A surprise Rube Goldberg piece of cartoonphilately

Does this book, A Night Out by Edward Peple (NY: Moffat, Yard and Company, 1911 5th printing) look like a piece of philately to you? 


I picked it up recently just for the Rube Goldberg drawing of a cat for the cover and frontispiece, which is the only cartooning in it.
 

But when I went to scan it today, I noticed the back cover for the first time.


As you can see, this small book, roughly 4.5" x 7" was meant to be mailed.


And this copy was in fact mailed, or somehow delivered to Mr. C.A. Schwab, Deacons Hospital, Longwood, Mass. Probably hand-delivered since the "Place a Five Cent Stamp Here" block was not used. That postage rate looks good - according to an online calculator, that 5 cent stamp would only cost $1.65 today.

I had originally planned on just scanning the cat and giving the book away, but now I'm adding it to my cartoonphilately collection.

Here's the cat by himself for downloads.





No comments: